Monday, September 23, 2019

Imagined Skeleton


Lilly Stene
Cindy Rehm
Advanced Life Drawing 311-01
23 September 2019
Imagined Skeleton
            For my project I chose to illustrate the cartoon character, Bubbles, from the TV show Powerpuff Girls. Because her head is so much bigger than the rest of her body, I knew her figure and skeleton would be out of proportion. I spent the most time emphasizing her head and skull because that is what the viewer is most drawn to see when first viewing my work. I did a rough sketch of the shape of her head, and then compared the rest of her proportions to the size of her head. I drew lines across the page to make sure that her exterior was in proportion to her exterior skeleton. I used her pigtails to measure how tall her head should be, as well as other features like her legs and torso. After doing a rough sketch of her body, I began to compare that to her skeleton, and used the handout in class of the Pikachu drawing as a reference. I also looked at cartoon graphics of a skeleton to see how the bones were composed in relation to realistic human bones. After completing both rough sketches of the body and skeleton, I began to emphasize her features such as her eyes and mouth with graphite. I then went over the graphite in black colored pencil around her main features on her exterior as well as her skeleton. After that, I began to mark out where the light would hit her exterior body and skeleton with colored pencil lightly, and then shaded outside of the light spots. For her skeleton, I shaded around the edges of her limbs, and in the crevices of her bones to emphasize the value of her skeleton. Since she did not have many bones, without shading I thought her skeleton would look more unrealistic and wanted to emphasize the big sizes of her bones. I then went back with my eraser to get rid of any leftover graphite in both her skeleton and exterior form. For reference, I researched her common expressions in the TV show on YouTube, as well as the other Powerpuff Girls to compare their proportions. I also looked to see if anyone else had created a skeleton version of her to reference. I found one artist named Michael Paulus, who has illustrated many cartoon characters as well as their skeletons. I used Paulus’s examples of Powerpuff Girls as an inspiration behind my drawing. In Paulus’s example of Bubbles specifically, he illustrated her with an angry expression. However, I decided to illustrate Bubbles with an enthusiastic expression since she is depicted as being innocent and usually in a good mood on the cartoon series. I illustrated her posture to make her look optimistic and confident, which is how I remembered her in the show. After finishing the piece I was happy with the outcome, and felt that I had done a good job of utilizing the entire page.

10 Images:















Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment