Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Inside Out reflection


Inside Out Reflection

For the Inside Out Project, we were required to incorporate elements of collage with the interior of the human body. For my project, I chose to incorporate elements of nature into the figure, because when I’m out in nature especially in water, I feel connected to the elements   almost as if it’s a part of me. I also appreciate flowers, because I feel that they affect my mood and thoughts in a positive way when I see them, which is why I decided to have flowers sprouting out of the figure’s head. I first began my project with looking at images of people incorporating nature into figures in art, to gain inspiration. I then began my project by sketching out the figures body, and adding value with graphite. Then I went over the graphite with black ink wash. To emphasize the lighter and darker parts of the body, I either added more water to the ink, or I used its most concentrated form to define certain muscular parts of the body or the figure’s head where the flowers would come out of. While I let the ink dry, I began to sketch images of flowers, then went over the sketches with a skinny black ink marker. I cut these images out with an X-ACTO Knife because they were smaller, and cut out a pattern of water that I got out of a stationary book with a variety of backgrounds with a scissors. I then cut out the figure as well. First, I glued the water background to a piece of 18x24 piece of drawing paper. I then glued the figure over it. It was challenging to get the glue to keep the different pieces of paper down, because I used a glue stick. If I did another collage project in the future, I think I it would be a better idea to use a stronger kind of glue or something in liquid form. After I glued the water and figure over the water, I added scraps of water paper around the figure’s legs to add dimension. After I glued the figure and water portion of the piece, I added the cut-out pieces of my flower drawings to the paper and arranged them in a way that they seemed to be sprouting out of the figure’s head. I wanted the piece to flow together, so liked how the dark contrast of the flowers matched the value I added to the figure’s body. Originally, I was planning on doing a piece where I incorporated the inside out element in the figure’s ribs, with flowers coming out of the ribcage. However, I decided to incorporate both flowers and water in my piece later on so went with my second idea.
Sources:
Images: 

No comments:

Post a Comment