Monday, December 9, 2019

Final Series: artist statement & bio

Artist Statement:

The average woman must consume around 2,000 calories per day in order to maintain her overall general health and weight. Eating is a basic human function necessary in order to survive, however, this was not always the case for me. My relationship with food has always been somewhat toxic from a young age, and the physical action of eating in front of another was something that I avoided at all costs. My realization of this unhealthy association of food is what inspired my artistic interest in the different conditions one's body may acquire. Eating disorders and body dysmorphia are illnesses that are completely overlooked in society, yet so many struggle with self-image. I loved the feeling of having control over what I could look like by restricting my food intake. Exposure therapy had become my best friend and my worst enemy. Through my baneful relationship with food, I have discovered my love for figurative drawing. The body can take on so many different shapes and sizes and this is something that we should own rather than hide. I have made loads of progress with the way I think about food much of that is due to sharing my experiences through art. I will always think of eating as the little devil on my shoulder, but now I have the ability to ignore him.

Bio:


Sophia Winiarz was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Her time as an art student at Chapman University has allowed her to establish a unique style of drawing that has been exhibited all around Los Angeles. Following her studies, her first solo exhibition was displayed at a friend’s private gallery in Los Angeles.

Her most recent work is a series of drawings celebrating the differences each human body has in preparation for a group exhibition at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. She lives and works in Beverly Hills and her work is visible at sophiewiniarz.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment