Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Project 4- Inside Out Collage- Olivia Collins

For the Inside out Drawing I wanted to have most of the figure in the piece. In doing this I was researching on photos that would have this element, but also have enough exposed skin to have a representation of the inside of the body. I came across an image of PJ Harvey taken by Anton Corbjin that had the things I was looking for to have in the drawing. Her pose had a vulnerable aspect but also a powerful feeling and I appreciated the contrast between these two. Since Anton Corbjin focuses his work on black and white photography I had to make the decision if I went with charcoal and ink or a colored media. I wanted to experiment with color temperature in shading the figure and I felt it was going to be more cohesive with the ripped magazine that was going to eventually be collaged. I wanted to keep with the traditional ripped magazine that I have been collaging with for years but also with a new element of paper cutting that I have not done before. This paper cutting technique is an art found in China and has been a form of around for centuries. I knew I was not going to be able to make an intricate cut out due to materials but I thought having an exposed part of the drawing through the magazine would be a good abstract way of showing the inside of the body. For the size of the piece, I did the same as last time where I taped two of the pieces together. I kept the background as negative space to show some of the little overlap of collage on the body. I also was not interested in the background of the reference photo in relation to the collage.

No comments:

Post a Comment