Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Project 4--Inside Out Body

While working on this project, I was very unsure of how I wanted to go about my execution. I began by researching artists who specifically focus on anatomical art. Through my research, I came across Danny Quirk and Trisha Thompson Adams. These two artists have done several studies that focus on the anatomical workings of the human body, but in very different ways. Danny Quirk is a recent graduate of Pratt University who grew up in Oregon. His main themes at the moment include both human anatomy and the military. His work on human anatomy is significantly different than other artists I've seen. Quirk's work really grabbed my attention because he uses the human body as his canvas. Rather than painting traditional anatomical paintings, he uses body paint to make it seem as if the inside of the models' bodies are exposed. The detail and accuracy that Quirk incorporates into his projects is amazing and it made me wonder why he would put all of this work into something so temporary. The only remains of his work are the pictures he takes of the models he works on. I think this is such a wild concept, especially because of how easily and quickly the work can be removed. Secondly, Trisha Thompson Adams is another artist who works closely with the anatomy of the human body. She lives in a bungalow in the middle of Oklahoma, which is why she is so inspired by relationship between humans and nature. What initially drew me to her work was that she incorporates nature into her work. This is what really inspired me for my own project. I decided that I wanted to incorporate flowers into my drawing. I decided, rather than just drawing the insides of the human body with nature, I wanted to show the outside and inside of the body simultaneously. I drew a face with pieces of the skin removed, with flowers and plans growing out of the inside. Rather than sticking to traditional anatomical accuracy, I thought replacing this with flowers would be much more interesting. I was really inspired by these two artists and tried to incorporate concepts from both of them into my work.

http://trishathompsonadams.com/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS731US731&q=johnny+quirk+anatomy&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim-fn37PflAhXUvp4KHRN7DJgQsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1280&bih=650


No comments:

Post a Comment