Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Bodies of Knowledge: Anatomy and Transparency in Contemporary Art

        "Bodies of Knowledge" describes a history of humans' relationship to the inner and outer body. Aristotle was interested in dissecting cadavers to learn the secrets of life while later in the 1800s, it was shameful to host public dissecting events. Viewing the inside of the body has changed drastically because of advanced technology, including x-rays and ultrasounds. Advanced technologies have changed our perceptions of viewing our anatomical features. From breaking a bone to having a baby, we strive to create the best technology to aid health benefits. At the same time, this has changed the way artists are able to work. In the Contemporary art world, artists have used these types of technologies to create work. Since anatomy is so commonly seen in everyday life, artists utilize these tools to understand our inner and outer parts and how they relate to our lives. A great example of this is Farrah Karapetian. She uses inverted black and white images to depict large-scale x-ray images of trucks. Her work references x-ray machines at the border of Mexico and the United States. It also portrays a private versus public event transpiring. The military obtains advanced technology in which we are all affected by it, but are not always aware of it. Farrah's pieces create a conversation about what is private and what is public. I am also very interested in Frida Kahlo's portraits. She uses the interior space to express her traumas and experiences. Many traumatic experiences I have had connect with the inner workings of my body. A lot like Frida, I have gone through many physical experiences that have changed my life. Frida got into a trolley accident that resulted in her being bedridden for months. She began to draw while she spent all her days alone in her room. My physical traumas have led me to focus in on what is important. If I am disabled to make art, my life would deteriorate. My current mediums have become so differentiated that I have many ways to make art. This result is from being exposed to new technologies I have never used. Humans are so capable of overcoming physical traumas, purely because of technology aiding our weaknesses. Watching my dad, who is paralyzed from the chest down, transfer himself from his wheelchair to a car with a wooden plank is only one of many technologies that will aid him for the rest of his life. I now know that humans will exponentially become limitless in life. Health care and anatomical studies will only become more advanced, drastically changing the way we observe and experience our surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment