Monday, November 26, 2018

Inside-out Project


For this project, I decided to create a segmented drawing of my dad in a wheelchair. Inspired from a small-scale drawing I made in the past, I wanted to expand the idea of my dad’s health and progression of recovery. My dad recently had a hematoma on his spinal cord and was paralyzed from the chest down. I wanted to draw my dad with the the anatomy that was affected by his injury. Showing the anatomy of his body along with the tools to help him recover portrays his progression of recovery. I am specifically interested in how these tools able him to live properly. Over Thanksgiving break, me and my brother made a standing pull up bar for my dad to hoist himself out of bed. From living in the hospital for a month to moving back home, my dad has learned certain techniques to make his life easier. Accessible living is really difficult to find for handicapped people, but one only thinks about this when one is put in such a situation. The hematoma took out a huge nerve pathway in his spinal cord, which controlled his whole lower body. Such a tragic incident made us closer and more efficient as a family. With such an unknown future ahead, we feel more connected to take care of my dad. Through this project, I would like to document the process of recovery for my dad. Gifting him the small-scale drawing brought a smile to his face. I was initially unsure if he would enjoy it, since it showed his weaknesses, but he decided to hang it above his bed, as a memento. The inspiration for this project came from anatomical charts in my old science book from middle school. Visiting my dad in the hospital was really confusing to me. The doctors and nurses had different schedules and tools to aid my dad, yet I was lost in all the information. Making a tangible drawing of the tools he uses makes it less stressful to think about the problem. I also think that documenting tragic experiences can help one learn from their past.

small-scale drawing


reference pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment