Monday, September 25, 2017

Jade Smith      
ART 311 
Cindy Rhem
25 Sept. 2017
Character with Imposed Skeleton – Jade Smith
Although the actual execution of this project presented its own challenges, the thought process involved proved to be even more difficult.  I began by researching different animated characters and their skeletons, which gave me a feel for what a skeleton might look like in various types of gestures.  I originally planned on drawing Toothless from the film entitled How to Train Your Dragon, but settled on Pixar Animation Studios’ infamous robot, Wall-E, because I wanted to challenge myself with an animated character that wasn’t human and didn’t have a skeleton already portrayed on-line.  I also chose Wall-E because the deeper meaning behind the art inspires me.  I’m concerned like so many others about the damage humans are causing to Earth and this film features a robot whose job is to cleanup the mess humans have left behind.  I came to realize in my research that the skeletal structure is an important consideration in animation because it’s “the basic structure of any basic living creature.”  No movement is possible without the skeleton; therefore, understanding the skeletal structure is the key in understanding movement.  I learned that skeletal animation is a design involving two parts: the surface model, which depicts the way the character is portrayed and the skeleton, which determines the character’s movements.  I was completely fascinated with Michael Pauluh, an artist from Oregon, who illustrated the anatomy of many atypical shaped characters from television.  His depictions help to inspire my skeletal structure for Wall-E.  I came to discover that even an animated character, which appears simplistic, is actually very complex in relation to movement.  I was in aware of Pauluh’s intricate skeletal structures of characters such as Snoopy, Betty Boop, Tweety Bird, and Pikachu. 

My favorite part of this project was putting my design on paper.  I’m most comfortable working with graphite and colored pencils because I find it more enjoyable because I am able to change things at ease.  I also find the colored pencils and graphite to be closer to my style preference.  Award-winning colored pencil artists such as Ann Kullberg inspire me because I like the way the colored pencils are applied to the paper and the finished renderings aren’t solidly perfect.



www.research.ncl.ac.uk
 https://goo.gl/images/aB44gUhttps://goo.gl/images/vVnpkB
 https://goo.gl/images/nNE5Mm
 https://goo.gl/images/hJy3Hu

1 comment:

  1. outsourcingall.com "Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it.
    This paragraph gives clear idea for the new viewers of blogging, Thanks you. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.
    outsourcing training in dhaka

    ReplyDelete