Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Human Cyborg and Nature

For this project I chose to concentrate on the duality between natural and unnatural. In the context of the human form, the difference between nature and cyborg. I also chose to incorporate stylistically the difference between minimalism and complex detail work. Part of the piece is very minimal and simple, but another part is filled with texture and rhythm. I chose to use different mediums for the artwork. I started with pencil to create the outlines and forms. Then I chose to use ink to create the basic outlines and forms of the figure. The more cyborg parts of the figure I chose to use marker with red acrylic. I chose this medium because I feel it best embodied what the robotic and manufactured styles are. For the natural part of the composition, his arm, I chose to use green acrylic applied in a large rush in an almost haphazard manner, to encapsulate the kinetic freedom of nature. The individual leaves were created with ink. The pants he is wearing, I chose to paint it all black, so to keep with the idea of minimalism and create emphasis and weight on the bottom. Without it, the figure might seem a bit hollow. The figure is meditating, because I wanted to capture the human form in a moment of reflection and calm. Hopefully the audience may reflect as well as to what the human body may become as we approach technological advances. 
My influences for this project were, the film Metropolis by Fritz Lang, that depicts a robot and blurry the line between a robot and a human. My other big influence was the photographer Aisha Zeijpvelds, who uses surrealism to make commentaries of society and the human form. Finally, Rene Magritte was a huge influence in how he incorporated elements to the human figure to convey his opinions. 


I want to incorporate this artwork as a part of a series concerning the human form and the expression of inner life onto the body. I enjoy working with minimalism in conjunction with complex patterns in the medium of ink. I aim to create a soft of mandala experience where people may absorb the form as a whole and in combination of all elements, or step in closer and observe each little detail applied in the form. 










No comments:

Post a Comment