Monday, October 5, 2015

"Strong Independent Black Woman"

For my Political Body assignment, I decided to focus on my racial identity and how it affects my perspective of the world as well as how others perceive me. Living in America, I have noticed a range of stereotypes relating to my race in the media, and I understand the history behind them. Although I grew up in Canada, raised by West African parents, these stereotypes still sometimes affect me due simply to the color of my skin.

One stereotype that has bothered me a lot is too often used in the media. Black women are often portrayed as sassy, as sidekicks, as unemotional or sometimes even angry. The term “strong independent black woman” is something I have heard since I was a child. Some of my friends would even use that term to describe me if something went wrong. I know they were joking, but it often bothered me, making me feel as though I wasn’t allowed to feel troubled or defeated every now and then.

In researching for this project, I looked at the art of a number of black female artists, several of which we discussed in class. Many of the artists, Renee Cox in particular, often portrayed the black female form in a place of strength. It didn’t feel like a stereotype, however. It was a sense of strength that I long to feel. But I was also interested to find works by black female artists that used the black female figure to exhibit a sense of vulnerability and longing. Samella Lewis did a number of portraits that show black women as I had never seen them before. Her works were some that I could personally relate to, as I often feel, especially at this point in my life, more vulnerable than strong and independent.

I was particularly inspired by an Adrian Piper piece, titled What It’s Like, What It Is #2. In this piece, there is a drawing of a black face over a job application, with the word “IT” written over it in large red letters. This piece really spoke to me. My mom struggled to find work as an African immigrant when she first came over to North America, and the first thing that would show her difference would be the color of her skin. It made me also think of my own life, and all the boxes I’ve had to fill. Even when I applied to Chapman – I checked off “black” and “female” – was I only let in to fill a quota? I like to believe that I am talented enough to deserve the opportunities that I receive, but what if I am seen as a statistic, and not as a person?

My piece explores both my feelings towards applications as a woman of color, as well as how I feel like many black women do not always fit the stereotype of “strong independent black woman”. With these stereotypes, many black women feel as though they are reduced to something less than human. I wanted to show the black female form in a way that exhibited vulnerability.

References:
I Found My Blackness



Samella Lewis, Self Portrait
Samella Lewis, Home Sweet Home
Renee Cox, Yo Mamma
Renee Cox, 41 Shots at Green River
Renee Cox, Yo Mamma Young
Kara Walker, Alabama Loyalists Greeting the Federal Gun-Boats
Andrea Bowers, People Before Profits 
Adrian Piper, Self Portrait Exaggerating My Negroid Features

Adrian Piper, What It's Like, What It Is #2
Carrie Mae Weems, Mirror, Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment