Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Body and Mind

 For my drawing assignment, I attempted to use my body to represent my inner thoughts – where my mind is at this point in time. I wanted to combine conflicting ideas – chaos and serenity, completeness and incompleteness – within one piece. The goal was to create a sort of imbalance that may appear to be symmetrical and uniform at first glance. These conflicting forms of imagery reflect how I feel about myself at the moment – in one sense very put together and on the right track, but all the while bursting with ideas, constantly confused and at times unmotivated.

            I drew myself in a serene pose to reflect my outward view of myself. I am good at hiding my emotions and often show the world a content and fairly ordinary version of myself. Most of my body shows a range of values while a couple areas (my face and hands) are very flat and two dimensional, with hard lines. This shift in style within the figure is meant to show incompleteness. My head is the source of my creative spirit and my hands are the way I communicate these ideas through art and writing. Being so young, and in the transitional stage between college and the real world, while I enjoy creating work, nothing I create lately ever seems to feel complete. It is as if I am missing certain bits of knowledge or enlightenment that I have not received yet. The idea is that as I grow and learn, those vital areas of myself will become filled in overtime as well as the rest of me.

            I also drew shapes and designs pouring out of my ears and spilling around me. These images represent my mind and the way I think. On the left I have varying patterns and doodles, symbolizing the chaotic cloud of ideas in my head. They represent my creativity, but also the clutter of my mind. These doodles all deviate from typical strict patterns. I sought to create a sense of randomness within these designs to emulate the natural flow of imagination. The dark cloud on the right is representative of both the dark side of my mind (the thoughts I try to hide) as well as the feelings of laziness and lack of inspiration that sometimes creeps in at my worst moments. These two sides of me are constantly at odds, and the way I have represented them is as if they are exploding out of my brain and running wild. The overall theme of the piece is the conflict of the opposing forces I feel inside.

            All in all, the piece aims to show both the differences between my inward and outward self, as well as the differences between the types of feelings and thoughts that are part of my inward self. With this assignment I was able to work with value and line drawing, as well as pattern and design. It was a challenge to create a piece that shows my inner self, but through creating it, I was able to ask myself questions that may help me to understand more of who I am and where I am going.

Links:

https://www.zentangle.com/

Photos:



No comments:

Post a Comment